Youth Leadership Forum: About
PLEASE NOTE: CHANGE OF LOCATION FOR THE 2013 FORUM NOW BEING HELD AT TOWSON UNIVERSITY!
The Deadline for Applications Has Been Extended!
March 31st, 2013
No applications will be considered after this date
Dates for 2013 Forum
June 25th-28th, 2013 held at TOWSON UNIVERSITY!
Share the information about the YLF with your friends, classmates, teachers and anyone else who might be interested!
"Leadership and learning are indispensable to each other."
- John F. Kennedy
Facts About the MD-YLF...
The Youth Leadership Forum was initiated in 1992 by the California Governor's Committee on the Employment of Disabled Persons. This popular program spread across the country and is now conducted annually in more than 30 states. Maryland conducted it's first Youth Leadership Forum (MD-YLF) in August 2000.
Who attends the MD-YLF?
The Forum is for students entering their final two years of high school. Selection to the attend the Forum is based on the following criteria:
- applicant accomplishments and leadership potential
- academic achievement
- community service
- participation in school and community activities
- disability diversity
- ethnic and racial diversity
- geographic representation
What are the Purposes of the MD-YLF?
- provide an opportunity, unlike any currently existing in Maryland, for young people with disabilities to attend an intensive forum emphasizing leadership, independence & personal and career goal setting.
- encourage youth to pursue their academic and career goals by exposing them to successful role models, i.e., adults with disabilities who have a variety of achievements.
- give youth the knowledge of resources that can help enable them to develop and achieve their goals.
- teach youth with disabilities about the cultural history of their predecessors with disabilities, including the long struggle for Civil Rights, which resulted in legislation such as The Americans with Disabilities Act.
Have more questions? Check out the YLF FAQ, or feel free to contact us.
Sponsors of the MD-YLF
We gratefully acknowledge the financial support of these groups whose contributions made the Maryland Youth Leadership Forum possible:
•Maryland Department of Special Education/Early Intervention Services
•Maryland Division of Rehabilitation Services
•Maryland Department of Disabilities
•Maryland Department of Transportation
•The A. D. A. Information Center for the Mid-Atlantic Region
•Maryland Developmental Disabilities Council
•Resource Connections of Prince George’s County
•and many other State Agencies, Private Organizations, and Families of Alumni
 This program is funded by the Maryland State Department of Education through Grant #301265 from Assistance to States for Education of Students with Disabilities, IDEA, Part B-State grant 84-207.
 This training is funded in part by the ADA Information Center for the Mid-Atlantic Region, one of 10 regional centers funded by the National Institute on Disability Rehabilitation and Research(NIDZRR), US Department of Education, Grant #H133D60006
We also partner with organizations such as: