Independence Now (IN) joins the disability community in celebration of 50 Golden Years of the independent living movement!
This summer, IN is installing an enduring legacy in our office to honor the strength and commitment of all who have devoted themselves to this cause. Our Legacy Wall will draw attention to important figures in disability history and serve as a permanent monument for all who visit.
The wall will be in our front office and feature quotes from disability rights leaders and historical figures who themselves had disabilities. It will also include a space where visitors can add their own quotes to recognize that many today continue the mission of those before us, and will continue to do so in the days to come until full equality is realized.
By making a donation, you’ll be known as a key supporter of Independence Now, the independent living movement, our history, and our legacy to everyone who enters our space.
Support Options Include:
- $1000 Supporter: We will showcase your logo on the wall
- $500 Sponsor: We will showcase your name on the wall
- $20-$499 Donor: Have you name listed
Donate today and become a part of this enduring legacy.
- Donate on Facebook
- Donate on Paypal (please include your contact information and indicate your donation to the Legacy Wall)
- Complete this form and send with check to: Independence Now, 12301 Old Columbia Pike, # 101, Silver Spring, MD 20904
For more information contact: Sarah Basehart, 240-898-2183 or email@example.com.
Legacy Wall Mock Up
Legacy Wall Visual Description
Beige wall with the following quotes appearing in different sizes in black text:
- “We can support each other, we learn from each other.” – Ed Roberts
- “Every great dream begins with a dreamer. Always remember, you have within you the strength, the patience, and the passion to reach for the stars, to change the world.” – Harriet Tubman
- “I have a Disability yes that’s true, but all that really means is I may have to take a slightly different path than you.” – Robert M. Hensel
- “Feet, what do I need you for, when I have wings to fly?” – Frida Kahlo
- “Abled does not mean enabled. Disabled does not mean less abled.” – Khang Kijarro Nguyen
- “I cannot allow myself to fall into the trap of being identified by other.” – Johnnie Lacy
- “Lead! Lead! Lead! The revolution of empowerment.” – Justin Dart
- “Independent Living is not doing things by yourself. It is being in control of how things are done.” – Judy Heumann
- “Believe you can and you’re halfway there.” – Theodore Roosevelt
In the center, surrounded by quotes, is Independent Now’s missions statement: “Independence Now advocates and embodies
Independence and Equality for all people with disabilities.”
To the right of quotes is a section to showcase sponsors with a heading that says, “Thank You, Sponsors.” Below that is a chalkboard where people can write their own quotes with a heading that says, “Community Voices.”