It’s Older Americans Month!
Every May, the Administration for Community Living leads the nation’s observance of Older Americans Month (OAM).
In honor of OAM, we are showcasing two items that may be beneficial in increasing your independence and confidence around the kitchen.
Both items are affordable devices that anyone can benefit from!
Reizen Fire Safety Oven Stick
The Reizen Fire Safety Oven Stick is an alternative to the oven rack guards that we showcased earlier. It offers similar protection against burns that can result if you accidentally touch or brush against hot oven racks. They also help you pull out your oven racks with ease. However, the Reizen fire safety has the benefit of not needing to be attached to your oven rack and can simply be utilized when needed.
To use the Reizen Fire Safety Stick pull your oven rack out with the notch below the 2-inch mark. Push the rack back in the oven with the notch located at the end of the stick opposite the handle.
- The Reizen Fire Safety Stick is made with a natural wood finish and also comes with a convenient hole at the top of the handle for hanging or storage when not in use.
- Measurements: 13 3/4″ x 1 1/8″
Price: $2 to $10
Kitchen Grips Pan Handles
The Kitchen Grips deluxe pan holder set is the perfect way to protect your hands. These stylish sleeves fit easily over your pan handles and are heat resistant, protecting your hands from hot and cold thanks to the soft and pliable material. The mitt will protect your hands from steam and liquid burns even when wet and are an alternative to oven mitts.
- Set of 2: one 6″ in length and one 7″ in length
- Dimensions: 2″W
- Dishwasher Safe
- Heat resistant to 500° F (260° C)
- Water repellent – protects hands from steam and liquid burns
- Non-slip grip
- Increased insulation – raised nub surface texture creates insulation between the heat/cold source and your hands
Price: $10 and is available in multiple colors