Bilingual (French/English) Community Health Worker – Montgomery County, Maryland
Position Open with Independence Now
Full Time – funding guaranteed thru 9/30/24
Deadline to apply September 20, 2022 – 5pm
Independence Now, a Center for Independent Living, is a nonprofit organization created by and for people with disabilities. We are a resource and advocacy center that promotes independent living and equal access for people with all types of disabilities of all ages. Independence Now assists residents of Montgomery and Prince George’s Counties to use community services and resources that will enhance their independence.
Independence Now’s core independent living services are peer counseling, individual and systems advocacy, information and referral, independent living skills training and transition. Our mission is – We advocate and embody independence and equality for all people with disabilities.
Along with other Centers for Independent Living, Independence Now has received federal funds to expand the public health workforce within the aging and disability networks. Per the Administration on Community Living, “Professionals funded through this program may provide a wide range of public health services and supports, including culturally affirmative and linguistically accessible information, assistance with accessing vaccines (including boosters) and connecting to other services, transition and diversion from high-risk congregate settings to community living, health and wellness programs, activities that address social isolation and social determinants of health, and other activities that support the public health and wellbeing of older adults and people with disabilities.”
- Complete Intake process for consumers
- Maintain consumers’ record via cloud-based platform and hard files when needed
- Creating individualized Independent Living Plans with consumers to clarify goals
- Meet individually with consumers to provide socialization, information, training, support/mentoring and to encourage active community participation
- Evaluate homes for fall risks
- Assist consumers in emergency preparedness preparations
- Provide health care organization (calendar of appointments, medication set up)
- Support individuals who recently moved out of Nursing Facilities in accessing resources
- Coordinates management of chronic conditions workshops and Health and Wellness events
- Offers information on COVID-19 vaccines and boosters, including access
Background check required. Candidates must have 2 years of work experience and Community Health Worker Certification and be fluent in French.
This position will work from our Silver Spring office but will also work out in the public in Montgomery and Prince George’s County. Local travel required.
Position details: 40 hours per week at $20 per hour. Minorities and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Send resume and cover letter to: email@example.com