Sammi joined Independence Now in September 2021 to provide dedicated support to our consumers during the COVID-19 pandemic. They have been working diligently to organize virtual events, collect and distribute vital information, and coordinate critical resources for our most vulnerable consumers. If you or someone you know is seeking resources during the pandemic, please call Sammi 240-898-2182 or send an email email@example.com.
COVID-19 Resources and Information
Find out the latest info on reopening your community.
Prince George’s County
Effective, Friday, October 1, 2021, at 5:00 p.m., all persons over the age of two will be required to wear a mask in all indoor public venues and businesses in Prince George’s County, even if they are fully vaccinated. This includes, but is not limited to, restaurants, retail stores, entertainment venues, conference centers, and office settings. Some exceptions do apply, such as when an individual is actively eating or drinking or individuals who have a bona fide disability that prevents them from wearing a mask.
More information: https://www.princegeorgescountymd.gov/3504/County-Phased-Reopening
At 60 percent of the population receiving at least one dose of COVID-19 vaccine:
- gathering limits increase to 250 people indoors and no limit outdoors.
- most businesses move to 75 percent capacity.
- camps can increase to gathering limits of 250 people indoors with no capacity limit outdoors and may gathering limits increase to 250 people indoors and no limit outdoors.
Find out where and how to get the vaccine, get tested, and info on funeral assistance if you have a loved one who dies from COVID-19.
Where to Get a COVID-19 Vaccine
- Montgomery County Vaccine Locator: https://mcgvaccineprod.powerappsportals.us/covid-vaccine-scheduling/
- Prince George’s Vaccine Locator: https://princegeorges.maps.arcgis.com/apps/instant/nearby/index.html?appid=fa0cb8269c8d4d16ad5b1495c6316d66
- If you live in Montgomery County, call 240-777-2982
- If you live in Prince George’s County, call 301-883-4748
Where to Get Tested
- Montgomery County: https://www.montgomerycountymd.gov/covid19/testing.html
- Prince George’s County: https://princegeorges.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/f9964c50023040648c20c54ec2f37ee9
If you have lost a loved one related to COVID-19 after January 20, 2020, FEMA is offering funeral assistance.
Who Is Eligible?
- U.S. citizen
- Non-citizen national
- Qualified individuals
- Prince George’s County: https://www.princegeorgescountymd.gov/ImageRepository/Document?documentId=35486
- Montgomery County: https://www3.montgomerycountymd.gov/311/Solutions.aspx?SolutionId=1-3GBQHE#:~:text=Emergency%20Services%20within%20Housing%20Stabilization,an%20interview%20conducted%20by%20phone.
Find out about free and reduced-cost internet and broadband services available to you.
The Emergency Broadband Benefit (EBB), an FCC program, will provide low-income households, during the COVID-19 pandemic, with a temporary $50-per-month discount on home internet service. The EBB discount should cover the entire monthly cost of home broadband. The benefit will last until federal funding runs out or six months after the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services declares the pandemic is over.
Comcast Internet Essentials: https://internetessentials.com/
Emergency rental assistance is available to renters during COVID-19.
Prince George’s County
Emergency Rental Assistance Program
The Prince George’s County Department of Housing and Community Development (DHCD) offers relief to landlords on behalf of renters and tenants experiencing financial difficulties due to the COVID-19 pandemic for the Emergency Rental Assistance Program (ERAP). This project is being supported, in whole or in part, by federal award number ERA0202 awarded to Prince George’s County, MD Government by the U.S. Department of the Treasury.
Learn More: https://www.princegeorgescountymd.gov/3703/Emergency-Rental-Assistance-Program
Mission of Love
Mission of Love located in Capitol Heights, offers rental assistance, runs a day center, offers special events and sometimes can offer help in getting household items.
Learn More: https://www.molcinc.org/what-we-do/programs/
Montgomery County COVID-19 Rent Relief
Emergency food support resources are available during COVID-19.
Prince George’s County
- Prince George’s County Food Equity Council: http://www.pgcfec.org/resources.html
- Pandemic Electronic Benefit Transfer (P-EBT): http://www.institutephi.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/10/Copy-of-English-PGC-P-EBT-Fact-Sheet.pdf
- Montgomery County Food Resources: Call 311 or visit https://www.montgomerycountymd.gov/covid19/get-help/food.html
- Montgomery County Food Council: https://mocofoodcouncil.org/covid-19-local-food-system-resources/
- Manna Food Center: https://www.mannafood.org/
- Shepherd’s Table: https://www.shepherdstable.org/meals/
- Shepards Table located in Silver Spring offers hot meals daily, runs a resource center, an eye clinic, and hands out to-go meals at local schools.
Regional and Maryland Statewide Programs
- Maryland Hunger Solutions: https://www.mdhungersolutions.org/get-help/
- Online SNAP Grocery Orders: https://dhs.maryland.gov/documents/COVID-19/SNAP%20Online%20%20%205_28_20.pdf
- SHARE Food Network: https://www.catholiccharitiesdc.org/share/
- Share food network allows you to purchase food at half the price. You can purchase a box of food that costs approximately $40-45 for around $22 and they accept SNAP/EBT.
- Food & Friends Home: https://foodandfriends.org/
- Food and Friends delivers ready to eat meals and groceries to people who are diagnosed with: HIV/AIDS, cancer, poorly-controlled diabetes, stage 5 renal disease, congestive heart failure (NYHA class III or IV), chronic obstructive pulmonary disorder “COPD” (stage III or IV), multiple sclerosis (RRPS, SPMS, PPMS), ALS (middle or late stages), Parkinson’s (Stage III, IV or V) and Cystic Fibrosis.
If you’re in need of mental health services and support, help is available.
211 Maryland- 211 Maryland is a call and text-based resources hotline providing zip-code-based mental health and substance use resources.
Call 211, press 1
Text your zip code to 898-211
National Alliance for Mental Illness (NAMI) Prince George’s County
NAMI is a national organization to raise awareness and provide support and education to people struggling with mental illness.
Crisis Line: 1-800-273-8255
Find out where to get clothing and other resources if you’re in need.
Interfaith Works is located in Rockville offers a clothing closest that clients can sign up to go shopping in.
Prince George’s County
Labor of Love located in Capitol Heights offers a clothing closet, a computer lab, tax help, food pantry, a senior center, and more!
If you are a victim of domestic abuse help is available.
- Department of Health and Human Services: https://www.montgomerycountymd.gov/hhs-program/bhcs/bhcsabusedperson-p207.html
- Community Advocates for Family & Youth: https://www.cafyonline.org/
Prince Georges County
- Domestic Violence and Sexual Assault Center | UM Capital Region Health: https://www.umms.org/capital/health-services/womens-health/supporting-our-community/domestic-violence-and-sexual-assault-center
- Deaf Dawn: https://deafdawn.org/
- Maryland Network Against Domestic Violence: https://www.mnadv.org/
- House of Ruth Maryland: https://hruth.org/
News & Updates
Find the latest news and information on critical resources available for our consumers
“Take Care” | Prioritizing Self-Care While Living With a Disability
Dr. Ali Carter, host of Independence Now’s “Facing COVID Now” series, shares valuable insights on the importance and evolution of self-care for individuals with disabilities.
Supports Planning Agency Helps Consumers Stay Connected with Technology
The SPA has had to get really creative with figuring out how to stay connected with our consumers during COVID. One positive thing to come out of the pandemic is that we were able to assist consumers as they learned new types of technology that they now use in many ways to stay connected!
Supports Planning, a Consumer’s Perspective
One consumer recently shared her experience working with an Independence Now Supports Planner to stay connected and receive support through COVID-19.