Independence Now invites local businesses and organizations to share their upcoming events with our community on our online events calendar. Submit your event through the online Event Submission Form. Events are not guaranteed to be published.
- This event has passed.
October 31, 2022 - December 23, 2022
Empower your community!
Independence Now and the Maryland Youth Leadership Forum (MDYLF) want to know how you’re empowering your community.
Beginning October 31, 2022, Maryland’s young people with disabilities are encouraged to give back to their communities.
- MDYLF alumni and INNOW youth can choose to do whatever they like but here are some examples:
- Rake leaves or shovel snow for a senior or your neighbor’s yard
- Cook or bake dinner night (give Mom/Dad a break) in-house family any night, tacos, pizza etc.; fun drinks or fun-colored popsicles ice cubes…
- Write a poem to empower teenage prevention of suicide to enlighten and uplift. Express that tomorrow will be a better day. Or a poem on “Stop Bullying; we all can be better”.
- Do a clothing drive: collect donated scarves/hats etc. from your friends, neighbors, and community members and give to an organization that serves people in need.
- Advocate for a sibling.
If you need help brainstorming ideas or making a plan join this zoom meeting on November 7th at 6:00 pm to figure out how you can empower your community. Register for the November 7 Empowerment Drive Brainstorm Session.
This event will continue until the end of the year. On December 23rd at 4:00 pm, join this zoom meeting to talk about what you did for your community and have a chance to win a prize! Register for the December 23 Empowerment Drive Discussion.
For more info, contact Danielle Bustos at firstname.lastname@example.org or 240-898-2189.