Realize the Possibilities of Independent Living
Powerful peer to peer support for people with disabilities to become more independent in their lives and communities.
“We are people with disabilities advocating and educating our peers to be more independent in homes and communities. We operate according to the philosophy that people with disabilities govern their own lives. We provide an array of services to people with ALL types of disabilities who live in Montgomery and Prince George’s Counties. Contact me to learn more about our five independent living core services and start on your road to independence, whatever that may look like for you!”
Our Independent Living Core Services
Contact us about our services and programs to see firsthand
our commitment to freedom, power, and Independence Now!
It is our belief that individuals with disabilities are the best guides to independence; therefore, Independent Living Specialists:
- serve as role models
- assist with self-exploration
- assist with self-directed goals setting and achievement
- direct consumers to appropriate services and programs
- serve as advocates
Individual & Systems Advocacy
- System Advocacy – Staff interacts with local, state, and federal legislators and agency leaders on behalf of people with disabilities to advocate for more responsive disability policy in personal assistance services, housing, employment, transportation, youth/transition, visitability and other major issue areas.
- Individual Advocacy – Staff works individually and in group settings with consumers to assist with increasing their personal self-advocacy skills and knowledge of their civil rights.
Independent Living Skills Training
IL Specialists facilitate one-on-one and group skills trainings in an array of areas to promote independence, such as:
- independent housing
- decision making and time management
- local, national and legislative laws
- transportation and employment
- budgeting, cooking and kitchen safety
- other areas according to individualized needs
Information and Referral (I&R)
As a resource and advocacy center, IN serves as a guide through the maze of services by connecting consumers and the general public with current information on programs, equipment and community resources. Information and referrals help assist consumers to build a network of supports as they pursue goal achievements and furtherance of their independence.
Referrals are also made to other community organizations and programs.
IN publishes a monthly newsletter “IN Touch” that outlines all monthly and quarterly activities such as:
- Housing Information Seminars
- Employment Seminars
- Lunch or Dinner and Movie (this combines our Creative Cooking Class and Advocate’s Theater)
- Transportation Action Group (TAG)
- Let’s Get Together (for people wanting and waiting to move to the community)
Transition services has several parts, first, supporting students with disabilities transition from high school to work or post-secondary education. It is also Transition and Diversion from Nursing Homes- Assisting to make the transition from institutions back into the community and into their own homes or to prevent Nursing Facility placement.
News & Updates
What's Happening in the Independent Living Community
Independent Living Workshops and Events
Independence Amplified Maryland is your opportunity to know what’s going on in the world of disability and take control of your future.Find out more »
This is our first virtual equipment showcase that will provide you with information on everything from how to apply for clarity phone, how to best use a scanner or Victor reader, how to obtain access to a portable ramp, or rent nifty tools and devices from an AT Equipment Loan Closet.Find out more »